Last week it was my cousin’s 19th birthday and of course I made her a cake! She’s a chocolate lover so it had to be a chocolate cake. I baked a basic chocolate sponge and filled it with whipped double cream. The cake was glazed with dark chocolate ganache and decorated with buttercream icing (19), a gold icing rose and sprinkles!
Chocolate sponge ingredients:
- 6oz/170g unsalted butter, softed, not melted
- 6oz /170g caster sugar
- 4oz/115g self-raising flour or plain flour with a teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 large egg
- 2oz/ 55g cocoa powder, not drinking chocolate
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 190c/170c fan or gas mark 5. Grease and line two tins.
- Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and mix until creamy and lighter in colour, using a spoon, hand held mixer or frestanding mixer.
- Sieve the cocoa, flour and salt into a bowl and crack one of the eggs into a cup or ramekin. Stiring all the time, add the egg and a third of the flour mixture into the sugar and butter, add the second egg and third of the flour and add the last egg and flour mixture in to the butter and sugar. You should have a smooth thick batter. If your batter is sift, add a splash of milk and stir.
- Put into the oven and bake for 25 minutes until springy to touch. Take out of the oven and leave for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool cut into two even parts.
- 400ml double cream
- buttercream icing
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- cherry jam
Whip the double cream adding in the sugar and buttercream icing until not runny (but not too firm). Layer the bottom sponge with cherry jam and add the cream filling on top.
Add the top cake sponge on top and decorate.